Tuesday 29 March 2011

Concept Development: Greenpeace Poster Design

I had originally planned to design a poster for the RSPCA, though I heard a few people were thinking of it and I know a fair bit about the RSPCA already, so I decided to look up an organisation I didn't know much about. On this page I brainstormed a few ideas for the poster, found out some of the events and fundraisers that the RSPCA holds and what they do for animals.

I chose to look up Greenpeace. I roughly found out what main issues they deal with and what their goal is. After researching some of their poster designs I made an attempt at thinking up some of my own that could be as clever and eye catching as theirs. Greenpeace being an organisation that deals with wordly issues like the environment, I tried to bring images of the earth into my designs. Also issues like overfishing and whaling, Climate change and their effect on human life.


Concept 1. This is the first idea that popped into my head, the world as a deflating balloon due to climate change. I think this visual metaphor could work really well. It's simple and direct, the image is in your face and easily interpreted. Colours are kept plain as to maintain attention on the concept of the image rather than the detail. "We're running out of puff" This poster has the potential to be quite appealing to young people because it is straightforward and eye catching. 

Concept 2. This concept is a little more specific to the overfishing issue, though the idea is broadened with the caption "Spot the difference" as in life and death. This one takes a little bit more time to comprehend and the image isn't as striking either. 

Concept 3. In carrying out my words with actions, I designed a poster with humans in it. I haven't seen a great amount of Greenpeace posters with people in them and I think it could really hit home if they did use them. This one is half joking, saying that if pollution continues as it is, in a few decades time we won't be able to breathe our own earth's air. A photo would make it very realistic, with the short caption "Act sooner rather than later"

No comments:

Post a Comment